FonctionsRH et Finances
Date de validité08/09/2022
Title: Regional Finance Coordinator for Africa
Type of contract: Employment
Contract duration: 2-year contract with possible renewal
Work time: Full-time position
Reporting to: Head of Finance (based in Geneva, Switzerland)
Location: Africa, home-based (with frequent travel in the region)
Start date: As soon as possible
Level in GSF function scale: Level 5
Application deadline: 08/09/2022
The Global Survivors Fund (“GSF”) was launched in October 2019 by Dr Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad, Nobel Peace Prize laureates 2018. Its mission is to enhance access to reparations for survivors of conflict-related sexual violence around the globe, thus responding to a gap long identified by survivors. GSF acts to provide interim reparative measures in situations where states or other parties are unable or unwilling to meet their responsibilities. GSF advocates for duty bearers as well as the international community to develop reparations programmes. It also guides states and civil society by providing expertise and technical support for designing reparations programmes. GSF’s survivor-centric approach is the cornerstone of its work.
The overall role of the Regional Finance Coordinator is to ensure the smooth running of financial activities of GSF and its partners in the specific region within portfolio.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Finance based in Geneva, the Regional Finance Coordinator is responsible for the operational monitoring of GSF field operations within a region or a portfolio of countries (which includes a number of ongoing projects and implementing partners, both in French-speaking and English-speaking countries), in coordination with colleagues from the Programmes department, with purpose to ensure strong and transparent partnerships, satisfactory reporting and continuously improving performance of partners, efficient financial management of the awarded grant budgets, strict cost control and limited risks for the Fund, through reviews / audits / training and capacity building.
Projects include mostly a few large Interim Reparative Measures projects, implemented via local partners, but it may also include as well smaller advocacy initiatives, workshops for technical assistance to governments, or regional events projects.
Monitoring of Partners (outgoing grants management)
- Conduct Due Diligence of implementing partners, identify weaknesses and risks, recommend and implement mitigation measures
- Review project budgets, and subsequent updated forecasts, and proposed amended budgets
- Follow-up project implementation progress, in coordination with regional programmes coordinator, and project coordinators
- Training, capacity building and coaching of project coordinators and other key finance staff within partner organisations, in areas of project budget management, approval procedures, accounting documentation, financial reporting, and other finance and compliance matters
- Support and advise partners, to help them improve their operations, HR and finance set-up, tools and systems, logistics if relevant
- Monitor reporting deadlines from all partners, remind them of the deadlines, investigate on potential need for amendment
- Review in-depth all financial reports prepared and submitted by partners, ensure compliance with GSF templates, review allocation to relevant budget lines, check consistency vs project progress / narrative reports, check consistency vs receipts
- Pre-approve final version of the financial reports and disbursements to partners, before final approval by Head of Finance
- Conduct regular audits at partners’ offices, vs actual original accounting documentation, on selected budget lines
- Support with external grant audits process when required
Monitoring of GSF direct field presences within portfolio (currently only in Bangui, CAR)
- Advise on operational set-up, review budget, monitor expenses and update forecast
- Review monthly bank transactions, bank statements, monthly journals for GSF field bank accounts – before sending to external fiduciary for upload into GSF accounting systems
- Review monthly cash transactions, cash inventories, monthly journals for GSF field petty cash boxes – before sending to external fiduciary for upload into GSF accounting systems
- Review expense claims of field staff based in region / projects within portfolio
Finance policies and tools
- Contribute to adjustment, deployment and implementation of all relevant GSF organisational policies applicable to field offices and partners
- Train GSF field staff and relevant partner staff and providers on the applicable GSF finance & administration policies and tools, and on best financial management practices
- Adapt tools to local needs or develop new tools, for field teams and partners, as relevant, to ensure improved monitoring, reporting and controls
Regional operations management
- Contribute to annual budgeting & forecasting process, for specific regions / countries / projects / partners within portfolio
- Participate to relevant global & regional planning meetings organised by Secretariat
- Visit regularly the field offices and implementing partners in portfolio
- Support project coordinators with review of their actuals and forecast, help coach project coordinators and project accountants on their financial responsibilities
- Produce financial analysis of projects within portfolio
- Update of the risk assessment for each project / partner in portfolio, review the controls in place and advise on areas where improvements can be made.
- Update key performance indicators for projects and partners in portfolio
- Participate to quarterly regional monitoring meetings, comments on progress, achievements, challenges, forecast and risks.
- Operational support for regional advocacy or events projects : Build budget, participate and help secretariat and project teams with daily operations, coordinate and monitor expenses
- Contribute to continuous improvement of GSF practices, policies and tools for financial management of GSF and its partners
- Support Head of Finance with any other relevant projects or assignments, upon request
Expériences / Formation
Education and Experience
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in management or finance field, Master’s preferred
- At least 8 years of experience at a senior finance or controlling role, in an international nonprofit organization, with overall budget of at least $10 million.
- Experience of direct line management of teams, and direct management of budgets above $3 million.
- Significant experience in nonprofit accounting, including fund and grant accounting, internal controls, compliance, and financial reporting and analysis.
- Experience in financial audits in various countries a strong advantage
- Experience with budgeting and forecasting process, budget holders and budget monitoring
- Experience in training and capacity building of local staff
- Experience with due diligence and managing implementing partners
- Experience working with and living in at least 3 different countries in Africa
- Strong analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- Team player with a positive attitude, excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in culturally diverse teams
- Advanced Excel skills
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively, to visit partners and teams in the field
- Excellent command of English and fluency in French (bilingual preferred)
Please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Regional Finance Coordinator for Africa” as email subject, by Thursday 8 September 2022. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The Global Survivors Fund will consider applications from qualified professionals from all backgrounds, cultures or beliefs. We aim at reflecting, through our staff, our commitment to diversity, gender balance and inclusion as well as reflecting the diversity of the places where we work and the communities we work with. We therefore encourage candidates from regions where GSF intervenes to apply. GSF operates and enforces policies on Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Fiscal Integrity amongst others.
Please note that for this particular position, candidates must be authorized to work in the country where the position will be based, at the moment of the application.
Your Data – If you choose to apply for this position, you will be providing us with your Personal Data, which we will process for the purposes of selecting a candidate for the position only. We will keep the Personal Data you share with us as part of the application process for six months from the deadline for application, after which it will be deleted. Your Personal Data will be accessed only by our HR Staff managing the recruitment process, as well as the members of the selection panel. You have the right to a) ask us for access to your Personal Data and for information about how we process it, b) to ask us to rectify the Personal Data we have on record for you, c) to ask us to delete your Personal Data or restrict its use, and d) to object to our processing of your Personal Data. To exercise these rights, please contact email@example.com . If you have any concerns or complaints about how GSF processes your Personal Data, please submit them to DataProtection@globalsurvivorsfund.org .