The European Institute of Cooperation and Development (IECD) will operate in Liberia in 2020 to implement employability projects. Those projects include both a “Rural development” component in support of the agricultural producers based in Bong County and a “training and work integration” one that will be deployed in Monrovia first and then in Buchanan and Bong County.
Regarding the “training and work integration” component, the related projects related are aimed to support the technical education and vocation training national strategy (TVET National Strategy).
As part of this new projects’ implementation, to provide the necessary expertise for its vocational training projects, IECD is recruiting an Educational Officer who will be based in Liberia. Those projects involve:
- The support of 6 training centers, among them 3 are private and 3 are publics ones, that concern 4 technical subjects. As of 2020, there will be the implementation of one technical course at a time: electricity, agriculture, construction industry and a 4th course to be determined.
- The support of the Liberian authorities to set up a training system for technical and vocational education trainers within the public reference center for vocational training.
For each technical course, IECD has developed tools and methods that are used in several countries: 2 countries for the agricultural course and 6 countries for the electricity one.
The main activities of those projects will be:
- Conducting market research analyses to refine the needs of the local job market
- Updating the training curriculums (job-skills frame of reference, training and evaluation frame of reference)
- Helping the partner schools to implement training sessions: equipment, training of trainers
- Carrying out an orientation and work integration action for young learners
- Implementing a self-development action for young people
- Strengthening the competencies of the partner and referring ministries (Ministry of Education and Ministry of Youth and Sports)
Under the supervision of the expatriate Project Manager, your mission will be to support the project team and the partner schools implementing quality training. More specifically you will:
- Support the partner ministries and schools implementing a quality training offer
- Organize the updating of existing curricula
- Help with the implementation of either renewed or new curricula
- Identify and manage the necessary external expertise
- Ensure the implementation of the follow-up and the evaluation of the training courses
- Ensure the quality of the professional practices of the teachers
- Design and coordinate a training plan for the teachers
- Organize and lead the educational training of trainers
- Reflect and propose a system of initial training for technical education teachers
- Ensure the reporting of activities to the Project Manager
- Take part in follow-up meetings with donors
Education: A degree in education or training design.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in teaching, educational coordination and/or reform of education
- Preferably with a previous experience in vocational training
- Experience abroad is an asset
- Knowledge of the Anglo-Saxon training system is an asset
- Training and educational engineering: analysis and creation of skills & qualification frameworks, mastery of the skills-based approach. Evaluation, training of trainers and creation of school project
- Change management ability
- Ability to support, join forces and train teams in a multicultural environment
- Strategic and analytical thinking
- Excellent written skills in English. Good skills in French.
Interpersonal required skill:
- Excellent communication skills, diplomacy, and attentiveness
- Patience and open-mindedness
- Rigor, organization
- Leadership, challenge driven and results oriented
- Commitment to IECD’s principles: a focus on the person, a principle of service and a professional commitment
Contract: French contract (VSI), Contract of voluntary service of international solidarity, with La Guilde Européenne du Raid
Dates: ASAP, for 3 years
Under the supervision of:
- the expatriate Project Manager located in Monrovia
Close collaboration with:
- the IECD team based in Monrovia: The Project Managers and the Project officers for each technical course
- The TVET team based in Paris: the IECD Educational Manager, the HR programs coordination team
- The Liberian ministries teams (Ministry of Education and Ministry of Youth and Sports)
- Compensation according to profile
- Participation in housing
- 2 round-trip plane tickets per mission year
- Comprehensive health insurance cover
- Paid leave: 2 days per month + local holidays