Terms of reference
Job Title: Medical Coordinator
Duty station: Kandahar with regular visits to Kabul
Starting date: 26/08/2019
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission
Supervision of: PMR, Pharmacists
General context of the project
The program’s general objective is to contribute to a reduced morbidity and mortality associated with malnutrition, diseases and hazards resulting from deficient (or non-existing) health and nutrition services, environmental health conditions and protection environment in conflict-affected communities in Kandahar province – Afghanistan. The program will target 72.241 individuals > 12% men, 48% women, 20% boy and 20% girls > 23% IDP, 4% documented returnees (DR), 12% undocumented returnees (UR) and 61% is most vulnerable local (host) community (HC).
The proposed program aims on the health and nutrition side to address the inadequate coverage and quality of life-saving services (especially for reproductive health and nutrition services) for the most vulnerable communities in Maywand, Spin Boldak and Zheray. The project will also address some of the key determinants of malnutrition and child and maternal mortality through promotion of improved Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) practices, safe delivery and healthy behaviors. Hygiene/WASH promotion is closely linked to health and nutrition and can further help to decrease mortality rates. Lastly the project will seek to enhance the psycho-social wellbeing and protective environment of the most vulnerable population groups. WASH and protection components will also be implemented in the informal settlements of Kandahar where IDP and (mostly) undocumented vulnerable returnees are concentrated.
General purpose of the position
In close collaboration with the HoM and the Medical Department, defining and implementing the medical strategy of the mission. Being responsible for the planning and coordination of all medical activities and resources in the mission, according to INTERSOS charter, policies, and ethical principles with consideration of international and national protocols, in order to ensure the delivery of quality medical care for patients and their communities as well as to improve the health condition and humanitarian living conditions of the target population.
Furthermore, the medical coordinator provides technical inputs to the health and Nutrition strategy and programme development at Mission level.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Responsible for defining, monitoring and updating the medical content of the INTERSOS country policy, medical strategy, annual plan and budget, translating the identified health needs into a medical strategic vision and project objectives, priorities and resources needed in order to cover the medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk, and ensuring that the objectives and goals set in the Mission’s annual plan and project plans are achieved
- Overall responsible for the appropriateness and quality of medical interventions conducted by INTERSOS projects and being expected to identify and work on removing barriers to better patient safety, effective medical care, and better patient-centred activities
- Continuously monitor the medical and humanitarian needs in the Mission country in new areas of intervention or in areas where INTERSOS is already present through exploratory missions, monitor and review project proposals, determining necessary resources in order to define health and nutrition priorities and potential new programs to cover medical and humanitarian needs of the population at risk
- Coordinate with the HQ Medical Referent for the validation of the project proposals he/she designs to be submitted to international donors and private foundation
- Responsible for the supervision and monitoring of the medical technical aspects, humanitarian needs and in coordination with the Logistics Coordinator, the material aspects of the programmes through regular field visits, analysing difficulties during the implementation and reporting deviations as they appear, in order to proactively provide the necessary solutions and achieve operational results
- In close collaboration with the HR Coordinator, participate in the planning, definition and sizing of the health-workforce in the mission and supervise the associated processes (recruitment, validation of medical staff, training/induction, evaluation, potential detection, development and internal / external communication). Coach and directly support the medical teams in the implementation of the medical activities making sure that internal protocols are respected as well as the ones of local Ministry and Health Department
- Responsible for defining and sizing other resources (pharmacy and medical equipment management in collaboration with logistics) and timelines, procedures and protocols. Ensuring preparation of all medical orders in collaboration with the Logistics Department and the submission of all medical purchase requests. Being accountable for the proper management of the pharmacy in the Mission, including projects. Provide reports on the mission’s evolution from the medical perspective, as required
- Represent INTERSOS before local medical authorities and guarantee constant presence and active participation to the health and nutrition coordination fora (clusters meetings, other technical coordination meetings) and keep regular contact with other counterparts in the mission (NGOs, local organizations, donors, authorities) in order to broaden the medical-humanitarian situation analysis, strengthening the impact of the medical intervention and supporting advocacy actions
- Responsible for medical data collection, analysis and reporting to HQ Medical Referent to ensure a proper monitoring of the program and, where needed, to adapt them to existing programs
|Expériences / Formation du candidat|
- Advanced university degree in medicine or other paramedical studies.
- Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health
- Minimum 3 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environment
- Strong experience in trainings and capacity building and development of local staff and partners in related subjects
- Prior experience in working in complex emergency setting, involving internal displacement.
- Strong experience with monitoring tools and systems, including remote monitoring
- Experience with participatory approaches and working with vulnerable groups, including gender mainstreaming and with persons with disabilities.
- Previous experience in developing and implementing M&E activities
- Previous experience in working in Afghanistan (desirable)
- Good/In-depth knowledge and understanding of Humanitarian Principles and H&N frameworks, tools, and minimum standards.
- Knowledge of the cluster system
- Experience with main donors compliance and reporting
- Strong representation and negotiation skills
- Proven experience in management and supervision of teams
- Good communication skills, both oral and written, and Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
- Mastery of IT tools (MS Office package, internet, e-mail, etc.)
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
- Excellent written and spoken English – Pashto would be asset
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to take initiative and work autonomously
- Ability to achieve results effectively, considering the need for speed, scale and quality
- Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (proactive)
- Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
- Ability to integrate and work well within multiethnic and multicultural teams
- Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS’ platform, you can also apply by sending your CV, motivation letter via email to email@example.com, with subject line: « SR-28-955 – Medical Coordinator – Afghanistan ». Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.