The French Red Cross (FRC) is operational in Northern Iraq since 2013, especially in Dohuk, Ninewah and Erbil governorates so far; expansion of activities in Babil, Missan, Wassit and Souleymania governorates are currently being initiated. Initially focused on the influx of Syrian refugees, then on the IDP crisis and the challenging displacements and returns of population, FRC provides assistance in a range of sectors including WASH, livelihoods, shelter and relief. Current programming includes WASH (including COVID-19 response), Livelihoods (cash), and Disasters Preparedness and Disasters Reduction whilst opportunities to engage into Health thematic will also be explored in 2021. Mainstreaming of the capacity building of the Iraqi Red Crescent (IRCS) in its daily work is also a main priority.
From May 2020, FRC has begun to change its set up and strategy to align with the Red Cross Red Crescent principles, and play a more active role in all Iraq territory through permanent offices located both in Erbil and Baghdad.
In 2021 the FRC will continue its emergency and recovery assistance for Syrian refugees, IDPs, Iraqi returnees and most vulnerable host communities in the country. This includes in particular for the position of the program coordinator.
Under the supervision of the Head of zone for the Middle East, the Head of Delegation (HoD) will be in charge of FRC teams and actions, especially:
- pursue and reinforce the positive working partnership with IRCS at both HQ and branch level
- pursue and develop the positive working partnerships with Partner National Societies (PNS), the ICRC and the IFRC present in Iraq, but also at regional level
- develop and increase the partnership with IRCS in all programs lead by FRC,
- pursue the development of activities in the north of Iraq whilst aiming for a balanced ratio of activities in the rest of the country
- identify potential partnerships that could be established in the country
- elaborate project proposals in accordance with the strategy developed by the IRCS
- represent the FRC to the Iraqi Red Crescent Society in Baghdad
- represent the FRC to other components of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement in Baghdad
- represent the FRC to local authorities and other humanitarian actors in the country
- represent the FRC to donors and other stakeholders
C- Management of resources
- supervise human resources, finance, budgetary and technical resources which are under the direct responsibility of the logistic and admin coordinators
- oversee the set-up of policies, procedures, regulations of HR management (recruitments, work conditions, salary, code of conduct, contract termination procedures) in cooperation with the financial and administrative coordinator
- make decisions regarding human resources in collaboration with the financial and administrative coordinator and the headquarters
- keep and reinforce the good working environment within the FRC delegation in Iraq
- oversee the general organization of all FRC department (support and programs)
- be a catalyzer in programs development and implementation
- ensure the balance of budgets with objectives and activities set in collaboration with the ProgCo and Program Managers
- monitor evolution of security context, and follow the ICRC recommendation
- ensure that daily implementation of security is shared with, understood and implemented by the team
- inform the HQ of the security situation key elements
- link with IRCS on analysis and key events
- The HoD works under the responsibility of the head of zone for the Middle East in the HQ
- The HoD is the line manager of the Programmes, Logistics and Admin-Fin-HR coordinators, the liaison officer
Expériences / Formation
Educational background and experiences
- graduate or post-graduate degree in relevant field
- work experience in a similar position
- previous experience with the RC & RC Movement compulsory
- strong communication, analysis and reporting skills
- management qualities
- substantial experience of strategic thinking, including identifying, analyzing, problem solving and responding to opportunities and challenges and the ability to translate these into practical plans of action
- extensive knowledge and experience of project planning and budget holding, proposal and report writing
- advanced proficiency in English mandatory (oral and written)
- Arabic would be a strong asset
- strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- flexible and proactive
- autonomous and team-worker
- Location: IRAK – Erbil and Baghdad
- Length of assignment: 12 months
- Start date : May 2021
- Status: Expatriate
The French Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications.
The French Red Cross (the President and by delegation, the Director General) processes, as treatment responsible, personal data concerning you for the purposes of the study and treatment of your application. Access to your personal data is strictly limited to authorized persons of the French Red Cross and to our subcontractors to achieve the mentioned purpose. As part of the terrorist financing and money laundering fighting system, any selected candidate may be subject to verification with our CSI Web subcontractor.
Your data will be kept for 2 years after the last contact with you and then archived according to the applicable limitation periods. If hired, your data will be kept for the duration of the employment contract and then archived.
In accordance with the amended law “Informatique et Libertés” of the 6 January 1978 and the General Data Protection Regulation of the 27 April 2016, you have the right to access, rectify, delete under certain conditions, oppose for legitimate reasons your data and to limit the treatment. You also have the right to define guidelines relating to the use of your data and the way in which you wish your rights to be exercised after your death. You can exercise these rights by contacting the HRIS Department at the following address: Carrefour.email@example.com
In any case of difficulty, you can contact the Data Protection Officer (DPO) at the French Red Cross headquarters at 98, rue Didot – 75014 Paris or at the following email address: DPO@croix-rouge.fr; you can also file a complaint with the French data protection authority, the CNIL.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all. These training sessions constitute a real advantage for your application: WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is dedicated to all profiles: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world. Stay Safe is dedicated to every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact. You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx