LieuDakar, with frequent travel in West Africa
FonctionsResponsable zone géographique
Date de validité03/02/2022
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Deputy Regional Director – West Africa
Duty station: Dakar, with frequent travel in West Africa
Starting date: 01/03/2022
Contract duration: 12 months of which 4 months of initial probation contract
Reporting to: Regional Director West Africa
Dependents: Family duty station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an International Humanitarian Organisation with its HQ in Rome, branch offices in Tunis, Nairobi and Amman and representation offices in Geneva and Dakar. The organisational structure is comprised of the General Secretariat, the Departments of Programmes, Finance, Logistics & Supply, Communications & Fundraising and Human Resources, the Grants Control & Compliance Unit and the office of Internal Auditor. INTERSOS is operational in 19 countries with over 3,000 among national and international staff worldwide.
INTERSOS assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts, exclusion and extreme vulnerability. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
The present organizational structure of INTERSOS Programmes department is made of a team of one Director of Programmes, four Regional Directors, four Deputy Regional Directors, two Grants Regional Officer, three Programme Protection Advisors, two Medical Referents and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
With regular visits to the missions, support the Regional Director on the strategic programming, management and implementation of activities and achievement of objectives related to the geographic area of competence. The Deputy Regional Director is functionally supervising the Grants Regional Officer, the
Programmes Coordinators and/or equivalent in the geographic area of competence.
Main responsibilities and tasks
· Contribute, with Regional Director to the design of the strategies and the identification of the geographical areas and sectors of intervention to be privileged
· Support Heads of Mission and key staffs in defining, programming and planning activities and organizational aspects in line with the identified strategy
· Support Heads of Mission and Programmes Coordinator or equivalent in the management of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries
· Is responsible to guarantee, in coordination with the Head of Mission, the Grants Regional Officer and the Programmes Coordinators, the supervision, analysis and evaluation of the key variables of the design of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency). In case of need and under supervision of Regional Director produce requested programmatic documentation (e.g.: proposal, annexes)
· Supervise and assess, in coordination with the Grants Regional Officer and through the review of PAT and/or other tools, the level of progress achieved by each project. Advise missions in project implementation and monitor the status of the program regularly reporting to Regional Director
· Collaborate with Heads of Mission and Programmes Coordinator or equivalent for ensuring systematic updating of needs analyses and critical context factors
· Guarantee, in collaboration with Head of Missions, Regional Finance Coordinator and Grants Regional Officer and under the supervision of Regional Director, the respect of INTERSOS Organization Management and Control Model and the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures, rules and policies for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
· Responsible to follow up with the Head of Mission, the Grants Regional Officer, and the Programmes Coordinators or equivalent to guarantee the timely submission of mission documentation and reports to donors and HQ. Control the content of narrative reports, in collaboration with the Grants Regional Officer and Technical Units.
· Collaborate with Human Resources department for the management of Human Resources and to create a pleasant atmosphere in the missions:
- Collaborate to the analysis of HR needs
- if needed, and under the supervision of Regional Director, participate to the recruitment process of key staffs
- Motivate and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
- Promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region in coordination with the HoM.
- Engage in direct capacity building when/as needed
- Support the HoM and the Programme Co in promoting growth, development and empowerment of National Staffs.
· In coordination with Head of Missions, follow up staff requests preparation and submission, to recruit new staffs in the geographic area of competence in line with budget availability
· Regularly check the INTERSOS database (IMP) content for the sections of HQ competence on the basis of the information provided by Heads of Mission and Project Managers and, in coordination with the Grants Regional Officer, verify accuracy of data
· Collaborate with Communication and Fundraising department to promote contents, visibility and awareness of the Organization’s work, goals, and financial needs as referred by the HoM.
Expériences / Formation
Required profile and experience
Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, NGO management, or equivalent work experience
§ At least 5 years of field working experience in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
o Budget management skills
o Strong and proven project design skills
o Experience with donor compliance and reporting
o Robust technical competences in protection and education in emergency
o Strong representation and negotiation skills
o Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
o Previous experience in people management
o ICT literacy compulsory;
o Strong experience with monitoring tools and system
§ Proficiency in English and French is required
§ Italian is a plus
§ Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
§ Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity
§ Strategic thinking
§ Attention to detail and structured way of approaching tasks (very organized)
§ Ability to plan ahead and output oriented (pro-active)
§ Able to ensure quick quality delivery in stressful environment (stress-resilient)
§ Ability to adhere to deadlines and respect line management
§ Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
§ Practical and problem-solver
§ Ability to deal with heavy work pressure
Applicants from the Region are especially encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/italia/#intersosorg-vacancies-italy/vacancy-details/614b05a316562b001ed044ad/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-00-2083– Deputy Regional Director – West Africa**”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.