The United States Agency for International Development mission in the Philippines (USAID or USAID/Philippines) is pleased to announce the Initiatives for Democracy Annual Program Statement (APS).
Through this APS, USAID is soliciting applications for effective and innovative approaches and interventions that contribute to achieving the mission’s high level goal of “Enhanced democratic governance that provides economic and political inclusion and advances social stability.” Specifically, awards made through this APS are expected to build upon past USAID support in the four (4) programming areas of the Initiatives for Democracy‐‐ human rights, media, elections and political participation, and local governance.
- Media capacity and independence advanced: The APS invites innovative applications to advance media capacity and independence in three (3) areas: Improve the environment for a free press, bolster capacity of media and other organizations to address disinformation, strengthen self‐regulation.
- Public support for human rights increased: The APS solicits innovative and tested social behavior change interventions to raise public awareness and support for civil and political rights enshrined in the Philippine Constitution. Activities are envisioned to be organized in three inter‐related components: build the evidence base for behavior change strategies, implement social behavior change interventions to increase citizen engagement in support of human rights, enhance the capacity of communities, civil society and local champions to advocate the advancement of human rights
- Political participation enhanced: The APS calls for applications to expand political participation and civic engagement in the following key areas: promote civic education, increase resilience of electoral process.
- Local governance bolstered: USAID invites insightful applications to bolster local governance through the following: increase transparency and accountability, improve third party oversight of local procurement, support policy dialogues to advance local governance and decentralization.
Geographic and Target Population :
In general, activities to be awarded under this APS will be implemented nationwide, unless as otherwise indicated above and in the separate Addendums.
Guiding Principles :
Applicants are requested to incorporate these guiding principles in their proposals:
- Innovation, adaptation and evidence‐based implementation
- Partnering with local organizations and non‐traditional partners
- Sustainability and self‐reliance
- Private sector engagement
- Resilience and conflict‐sensitive assistance
Funding Information :
Estimated Total Program Funding: $30,000,000
Award Ceiling: $10,000,000
Award Floor: $5,000,000
Eligibility Criteria :
- This funding opportunity is open to all eligible U.S. and non‐U.S. nongovernmental organizations (other than those from foreign policy restricted countries), including but not limited to foundations, academic organizations, media organizations or associations, for‐profit private enterprises, and consortia. Individuals are not eligible to participate in this APS or in any of the Addendums.
- USAID welcomes organizations that have not previously received financial assistance from USAID.