UNDEF supports projects that strengthen the voice of civil society, promote human rights, and encourage the participation of all groups in democratic processes.
Elligible projects fall under one or more of six areas:
- Youth engagement
- Media and freedom of information
- Gender equality
- Rule of law and human rights
- Strengthening civil society interaction with Government
- Electoral processes
This year UNDEF particularly welcomes projects that promote civic engagement for Climate action.
UNDEF always encourages proposals advancing Gender equality and Youth empowerment.
The following institutions are eligible for UNDEF grant funding:
- Civil Society Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations, engaged in promoting democracy. These are anticipated to receive the bulk of the funding.
- Independent and Constitutional Bodies, including Election Commissions, Ombudsman Institutions, National Human Rights Institutions and other independent governance bodies, for project proposals facilitating the inclusion of the voice of civil society.
- Global and Regional inter-government bodies, organizations and associations other than the United Nations, for project proposals which strengthen the voice of civil society.
UNDEF’s priority is Civil Society Organizations and Non-Governmental Organizations and the large majority of UNDEF funds go to local civil society organizations; both in the transition and consolidation phases of democratization. The organization must be legally constituted.
Closing date : 30th November 2023.
Funding : 100,000 US dollars – 200,000 US dollars.