The Taiwan Foundation for Democracy (TFD) is the first national democracy assistance foundation to be established in Asia, and is devoted to strengthening democracy and human rights in Taiwan and abroad.
The Foundation’s primary concerns are to further consolidate Taiwan’s democratic system, to promote democracy in Asia, and to participate actively in the global democratic network. The Foundation is committed to the vision of working together with like-minded organizations and individuals, building on Taiwan’s experience to advance a new wave of democratization worldwide.
The TFD has three grants programs : international grants, domestic grants, and grants to Taiwan’s major political parties. The TFD’s international grants program is designed to assist organizations based outside of Taiwan to carry out projects to promote democracy and human rights. International non-governmental organizations, academic institutions or think tanks, and other related organizations are eligible to apply.
Strategic priorities for international grants :
The strategic priority areas for the international grants program are:
- Projects that leverage Taiwan’s experience in democracy and human rights development.
- Projects that address the challenges to democracy and human rights raised by China, either internally or externally.
- Projects that strengthen democracy and human rights in East Asia (including both Northeast and Southeast Asia).
Project categories :
- Advocacy projects Promoting democracy and human rights through developing effective, cooperative domestic and international networks at the civil society-level;
- Research Conducting in-depth, systematic, analytical and/or empirical studies in the democracy and human rights fields;
- Conferences Engaging experts and other interested parties in forums, seminars, or workshops, to discuss issues related to democracy and human rights;
- Publications Advancing democracy and human rights through print or visual media, for example, through books, articles, and films.
- Educational programs Enhancing knowledge of democratic and human rights systems, such as through capacity-building and training programs.
Closing date : August 15, 2022
Funding : average grant size US$5,000