Programs Manager Afghanistan
Position: Programs Manager Afghanistan
Reporting Relationship: Country Representative
Location: Herat, Afghanistan
Starting date: ASAP
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Country Representative upon arrival on assignment); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract (according to fund availability)
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile and WeWorld salary scale
WeWorld is an independent Italian organization that has been working in international cooperation and humanitarian aid for 50 years. It supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld works in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 120 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Its activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world.
The organization operates in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. The organization operates also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
WeWorld dated back is presence in Afghanistan at 2002 when, in Kabul, it started to support orphanages; in 2008 WeWorld established his operational base in Herat Province. For around 15 years WeWorld has managed humanitarian and development projects in Herat region mainly funded by the UN and the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS).
From 2018 to 2020 WeWorld has suspended its direct implemented programmes in Afghanistan, while keeping contacts with its former staff in the field and collaboration with local partners.
The summer of 2021 saw collapse of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the establishment of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, following the withdrawal of the U.S. led coalition forces and the capture of Kabul by the Taliban. The economy has drastically shrunk by 40%, partly as a result of the collapse of the financial system that has prevented much-needed cash from entering and sustaining the country. As such, the livelihoods of many families have been lost and households struggle to pay for food, water, rent, electricity and other basic necessities. The last events in 2022 related to the shrinking of the humanitarian space from the authorities and the cholera outbreak further increased the needs of vulnerable population.
As a result of the a.m. crisis, WeWorld reactivated its programs and a first response plan has been developed together with RRAA, a well-established local NGO with whom WeWorld collaborated in the past.
WeWorld on-going programme is focused on Cash for Food addressing the needs of women headed families in Heart Governorate, and assessment are on-going for responses in other sectors.
Purpose of the Role
The Programs Manager manages organizational programs at the country level ensuring quality from development through execution. Identifies programming opportunities and areas where the organization can demonstrate its value and relevance. Builds relationships with donors and national counterparts creating a network of collaboration and highlighting the value the organization brings. Manages International and National Staff and budget.
The Programs Manager is under the direct line management of the Country Representative.
Main functions and duties
Programme Development (30%)
- In collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ coordinators, develops and implements an appropriate and effective strategy related to the Emergency Sector, setting clear objectives and indicators
- Develops new proposals in collaboration with the Country Representative and HQ coordinators, involving a multisector approach, expanding the intervention of WeWorld-GVC in new sectors
- Provides strategic and technical guidance on key components of WeWorld’s emergency work to foster good practice and ensure that humanitarian minimum standards are met in all sectors
Programme and Project Management (50%)
- Monitors and supervises planning of projects activities, ensuring effective delivery in line with donor requirements and WeWorld’s mission
- Prepares internal and external reports to ensure effective and timely information flows and reporting
- Ensures timely information on progress and results is available
- Compiles, organizes, analyses, monitors, and prepares data for situation reports, fact sheets, donor reports, briefing notes, and other reporting products
- Undertakes field visits to gather the information on results related to the emergency response activities
- Ensures that field data collection and analysis are performed in a results-based and timely manner for donors, audits, and internal purposes
- Direct follow up/implementation of projects without a dedicated Project Manager whenever needed and based on Country Representative’s orientations
Representation and coordination (10%)
- Participates in Cluster/Groups coordination meetings and other emergency working groups or meetings as required
- Represents WeWorld and feeds back to the Country Representative and HQ coordinators on relevant issues
- Develops and maintains regular, transparent and accountable communication structures with the assigned project staff, HQ coordinators, as well as other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
- Provides effective WeWorld representation to donors, national and local authorities, partners and other relevant stakeholders in the country
- Supports donor relations by contributing to the production of various communication products for donors and accompanying donors during the field visits in coordination with programme and field officers
Capacity Building and General (10%)
- Identifies learning and training opportunities for project staff and works as a mentor and role model for less experienced staff
- Ensure transparent, equal and inclusive management and training of human resources in accordance with the policy and procedures, and all regulatory requirements (WeWorld, host country legislation and donor’s policy)
- Foster an inclusive and diverse work environment, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management
- Knowledge of main donors’ policies and procedures (ECHO, UN Agencies, Italian Cooperation)
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Good computer skills, in particular MS Office package
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian settings
- At least 4 years’ experience in Project Cycle Management
- Proven experience in project proposal writing
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Good communication and leadership skills
- Ability to perform under stress condition
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Ability to plan strategically and conceptually and to translate these into concrete results
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Integrity in line with the Humanitarian Principles and ethical standards
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Experience in Cash and Voucher or Livelihoods programs
- Previous Experience in scaling up missions
- Previous work experience in the area
- Fluent in Italian, both written and oral
HOW TO APPLY
Send CV and Cover Letter at: https://weworld.intervieweb.it/jobs/programs-manager-afghanistan-346287/it/
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law. WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Policies. The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency”
Vous souhaitez déposer un appel d’offre ?
Déposez vos appels d'offres pour vos recherches de prestations visant à renforcer votre organisation, faciliter vos projets...
Déjà inscrit ?
L’ABC des prestataires
Plus de 50 prestataires référencés dans notre base !