Country Representative Afghanistan
Position: Country Representative Afghanistan
Reporting Relationship: Head of Regional Unit
Location: Kabul, Afghanistan
Starting date: ASAP
Type of contract: a first 3 (three) month collaboration contract subject to verification of the achievement of specific objectives (these objectives will be agreed together with the Head of Regional Unit and Head of International Programmes Department); a second collaboration contract of 9 (nine) months renewable, following the positive evaluation of the first three months of contract (according to fund availability)
Gross Salary: to be defined according to the candidate’s profile and WeWorld salary scale
WeWorld is an independent Italian organization that has been working in international cooperation and humanitarian aid for 50 years. It supports people in overcoming emergencies, and it strives to guarantee that everyone can have a decent and dignified life as well as opportunities and a better future. WeWorld works in 27 countries around the world, including in Italy, with more than 120 emergency, humanitarian aid and development projects. Its activities mainly involve women, girls and young people, actors of change in every community for a fairer and more inclusive world.
The organization operates in several natural and man-made crisis in various regions of the world. The emergency response, coordinated by the Humanitarian Aid Unit, is composed by multi-sectorial interventions comprising of WASH, EiE, CVA, Food Security, Protection, and others. The organization operates also in protracted crisis with provision of humanitarian aid through a prevention, emergency relief and rehabilitation approach.
WeWorld dated back is presence in Afghanistan at 2002 when, in Kabul, it started to support orphanages; in 2008 WeWorld established his operational base in Herat Province. For around 15 years WeWorld has managed humanitarian and development projects in Herat region mainly funded by the UN and the Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS).
From 2018 to 2020 WeWorld has suspended its direct implemented programmes in Afghanistan, while keeping contacts with its former staff in the field and collaboration with local partners.
The summer of 2021 saw a collapse of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the establishment of the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, following the withdrawal of the U.S. led coalition forces and the capture of Kabul by the Taliban. The economy has drastically shrunk by 40%, partly as a result of the collapse of the financial system that has prevented much-needed cash from entering and sustaining the country. As such, the livelihoods of many families have been lost and households struggle to pay for food, water, rent, electricity and other basic necessities. The last events in 2022 related to the shrinking of the humanitarian space from the authorities and the cholera outbreak further increased the needs of vulnerable population.
As a result of the a.m. crisis, WeWorld reactivated its programs and a first response plan has been developed together with RRAA, a well-established local NGO with whom WeWorld collaborated in the past.
WeWorld on-going programme is focused on Cash for Food addressing the needs of women headed families in Heart Governorate, and assessment are on-going for responses in other sectors.
Purpose of the Role
The Country Representative is based in the country for which he/she is the legal representative and head of mission of the organization. He/she reports to the Head of the Regional Unit .
AREAS OF WORK
- Representation, external relations and accountability
- Strategy, partnerships and resource mobilization
- Local office(s) management, human resources
- Program Management
- Administration and control
- Communication, policy and advocacy
- Knowledge Management and Innovation
Representation, External Relations and Accountability
- Legally represents WeWorld in the relevant country vis-à-vis the country government and all relevant authorities
- Represents WeWorld and is responsible for relations with relevant country authorities, donors, local and international partners, and all relevant stakeholders
- Participates in events including public events and speaks on behalf of WeWorld
- Is responsible in-country for the dissemination, implementation, compliance and monitoring of the application of WeWorld Child Safeguarding Policy and Child Safeguarding & PSEAH Policy, as well as all other organizational policies adopted by WeWorld
- Is the safeguarding focal point in-country for relevant stakeholders both internal and external, has the obligation to report any behavior contrary to the duties expressed in the Safeguarding and Prevention of Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment Policy by preparing appropriate report and to provide all necessary information to staff in-country for prevention and reporting including appropriate and continuous training on the subject
- Is responsible for and promoter of on-site dissemination and training, compliance with and monitoring the application of WeWorld Code of Ethics and Conduct and all internal policies (anti-fraud, environment and anti-terrorism)
- Is responsible for the analysis and assessment of risks present in the country, reporting periodically to Unit Head
- Is responsible for the security of the organization’s people and assets in the country whose management he/she monitors in line with WeWorld policy and reports periodically to Headquarters
- Is responsible for establishing and adhering to WeWorld Security and Evacuation Plan in the country in line with the organization’s relevant policy and procedures and updating it periodically in consultation with the Security Advisor
- Is responsible for disseminating the Security and Evacuation Plan and providing security training and information to expatriate and local staff
- Is responsible for adopting and updating the Local Operations Manual and monitoring its implementation
Strategy, partnerships and resource mobilization
- Is responsible for the formulation and periodic review of WeWorld in-country strategy and, in collaboration with the relevant Regional Manager, ensures its consistency with the organization’s regional and global strategy
- Builds and strengthens strategic partnerships in the country through active participation in networks and coordination mechanisms, promotion of new networks and partnerships by enhancing the expertise of the organization
- Develops and enhances in-country strategic programmatic partnerships defined globally and regionally by WeWorld
- Examines the risks and opportunities presented by WeWorld strategic positioning in the country and prepares appropriate responses to ensure sustainable projects and operations;
- Contributes to the drafting of project proposals of its area of reference where required and in coordination with the Regional Manager and the Planning and Knowledge Management Area
- Strengthens relationships with institutional donors in the country enhancing WeWorld expertise and achievements over time
- Identifies and develops funding opportunities with new donors present locally in collaboration with the Regional Manager
Local Office(s) Management, Human Resources
- Is responsible for all human resources, expatriate and local, employed in the country for the implementation of WeWorld institutional activities
- Proposes and updates the most effective organizational chart, roles, and functions to carry out WeWorld activities in the country in a logic of sustainability and enhancement of local human resources
- Ensures that the selection of staff at the local headquarters is done in a transparent and non-discriminatory manner with the aim of finding the most competent and appropriate person for the required task
- Analyzes and evaluates, in a constructive and participatory manner, the competencies of staff at the local headquarters and prepares training and improvement plans
- Reports training needs and capacity building needs of local office staff to headquarters and supports in finding and/or processing training opportunities for growth and continuous improvement
- Ensures that projects implemented in-country are in line and consistent with the organization’s country and regional strategy, have high quality standards, and achieve their objectives
- Is responsible for the local office’s program monitoring system, supervises and monitors the proper implementation of projects and the work of project managers
- Is ultimately responsible for the quality of project reporting and its compliance with the rules and timelines defined by WeWorld and those established by the relevant donors
- Reports periodically, on a quarterly basis, to the Regional Manager on the progress of the organization’s programs in the country and the operation of the local office
Administration and Controlling
- Develops the country’s annual budget proposal and submits it to the Regional Manager
- Plans and monitors the approved annual budget
- Is ultimately responsible for the proper use of WeWorld funds in the country, in line with legal requirements, and promotes a culture of proper and efficient financial management, quality, transparency, and credibility
- Ensures compliance in the management of the local office and projects implemented by it with the regulations and provisions of WeWorld and its donors
Communication, policy and advocacy
- Is responsible for WeWorld external communication in the country and its adherence to the organization’s relevant regulations and guidelines
- Ensures proper visibility of donors in line with donor regulations and rules on the subject
- Disseminates the guidelines for external communication and the use of WeWorld logo to the local office staff ensuring its proper use
- In collaboration with the Regional Manager, proposes external communication and advocacy activities in the country
- Coordinates and supervises the production of content for external communication affecting the country on its own initiative and/or at the request of WeWorld Communication Department
- Contributes to sector policy development where required and ensures the implementation of global and/or regional policies and approaches developed by WeWorld
- Ensures that projects/programs feed into the organization’s advocacy initiatives in coordination with the Advocacy Department at headquarters
- Is responsible for the production and implementation of the country advocacy strategic plan and its alignment with the organization’s overall advocacy strategy
Knowledge Management, Policy and Innovation
- Contributes to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure that WeWorld continuously integrates good practices and innovative approaches into locally implemented programs
- Contributes to the dissemination and sharing of good practices and lessons learned at the local level, as well as thematic Policy so that they can be capitalized and systematized for the overall benefit of the organization
- Contributes to the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of staff, partners and stakeholders
- Sets priorities, in consultation with the Regional Manager and IPR Manager, for targeted investments in growth and innovation at the local level
The duties and responsibilities set forth above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to perform additional duties.
Qualifications and Knowledge
- An advanced university degree or equivalent in the field of Social or Political Science, Development Studies, International relations, Project Management, Human rights
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Fluent in English both written and oral
- Minimum 5 years’ relevant working experience in related fields or at least 5 years of experience as program manager in emergency context
- Working experience with international NGOs in management of international cooperation projects funded by institutional, private donors and sponsorship programs
- Proven experience in Project Cycle Management
- Sound project development and proposal writing experience
- Experience in Security Management
Skills and Abilities
- Strong flexibility and capacity to adapt behaviour to the needs of the situation
- Capacity to work autonomously and in problems prevention/resolution
- Proven organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks while fostering quality, team spirit and positive working relationships with colleagues
- Ability to identify, initiate and maintain good relationships with partner organizations, donors and national authorities including building professional relationships with senior decision-makers and influencers / leaders
- Good communication, negotiation skills and sensitivity in dealing with local institutions on critical issues
- Cultural, gender, religion, and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Strong commitment to the Mission of WeWorld, genuine interest for international cooperation development topics
- Experience in Cash and Voucher or Livelihoods programs
- Previous Experience in scaling up missions
- Previous work experience in the area
- Fluent in Italian, both written and oral
HOW TO APPLY
Please send CV and Cover Letter at: https://weworld.intervieweb.it/jobs/country-representative-afghanistan-346267/it/
WeWorld is an equal opportunity organization and will not allow discrimination based upon age, ethnicity, ancestry, gender, national origin, disability, race, size, religion, sexual orientation, socioeconomic background, or any other status prohibited by applicable law. WeWorld has also a zero-tolerance approach to any harm to, or exploitation of, a child or a vulnerable adult by any of our staff, related persons or partners. Safeguarding checks are part of the selection process.
WeWorld commitment to being a safe organization begins with the staff recruitment process which includes meticulous checks, such as criminal records checks or check disclosure of previous convictions, to ensure children and vulnerable people are safeguarded and abuse is prevented. WeWorld promotes a welcoming, diverse and discrimination- and harassment-free workplace and expects the highest standards of behaviour from all its staff, who are requested to adhere to the principles and behavioural rules defined in the CoEC and the Organisational Policies. The CoEC and all the internal policies can be found here: https://www.weworld.it/en/about-us/transparency “
Vous souhaitez déposer un appel d’offre ?
Déposez vos appels d'offres pour vos recherches de prestations visant à renforcer votre organisation, faciliter vos projets...
Déjà inscrit ?
L’ABC des prestataires
Plus de 50 prestataires référencés dans notre base !